Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Login with username and password

Author Topic: Doctor Aldus Paedric O'Flynn MD.  (Read 279 times)

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
Doctor Aldus Paedric O'Flynn MD.
« on: November 02, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »
*Approved by SD*

Played By: MelsMum
Character Type: Main
Full Name: Aldus Paedric O'Flynn
Nickname: Paddy

First Position: CMO

Second Position: Negotiable

Assigned Quarters: Deck 3
Duty Shift: Alpha

[DETAILED STATS]

Species: Human

Height: 1.8 meters
Weight:
85kgs
Hair Color: Grey
Eye Color: Brown

Physical Description: Aldus is quite solid, bordering on heavy for his age, despite telling crew and patients alike to lose weight he rarely follows his own discipline. At the ripe age of sixty two he can still stand tall and straight, his solid build giving him a rather intimidating appearance. His hair is starting to go into the 'I had it when I was younger' category, now completely grey. His eyes though, deep brown with a sharpness found on those much younger than himself. His craggy jawline gives him a rather regal look, on his day.

Family: Wife, Caroline. Deceased

Father: Paedric. Deceased
Mother: Maryanne. Deceased
Siblings: Quinn. Psychiatric Medic, Serenity Base
Other Family: Daughter, Alison. Lt, Flight instructor, Earth

[Personality & Traits]

Paddy is a very down to Earth man with an equally down to Earth quick wit. He can be easily likable and extremely friendly, if providing he's had his daily tipple. Often he can be quite blunt, even a little rude, those are usually the moments not long after a particularly difficult surgery. Yet overall he's generally easy going, with a grandfatherly smile that sends younger crew to him when they need that 'older' advice their peers are unable to give.

General Overview:

Strengths and Weaknesses:

His strengths are his utter determination to help and heal people no matter what is stacked against him. His zeal for his ship and crew mates. His only weakness is in a bottle.

Ambitions / Personal Goals:

If he was honest with himself, at 62 he has achieved all that he set out to do.

Hobbies:

He is a workaholic, Paddy has never had time for a hobby other than long talks with his daughter when he can.

Interests:

One interest he does have which he doesn’t consider a hobby, is his fascination for old medical procedures. Paddy has a virtual library on almost every surgical book ever printed since the 17th century on his computers.

Personal History:

Aldus was born on Vega Colony in 2326. His father Paedric was the resident Doctor on the colony and Aldus grew up working alongside him in his practice. Aldus was relocated to Belfast Ireland, Earth with mother and twin brother Quinn after his father died from a sudden heart attack. There he attended Mercy College and earned high marks before being accepted into Oxford University. His academic career was stellar and he excelled at his studies, eventually qualifying for pre-med and being accepted into the Oxford Medical Program.

With his family background in Medicine, Aldus excelled in his course work and was named first in his class. He continued onto his residency and was noted as a rising star in his hospital. He would continue at the same hospital after his residency and eventually rose to Chief of Residence.

As a senior doctor, he worked long and hard to provide the best medical care available by the Federation. The time spent on Earth provided no real challenge to the ambitious doctor and he eventually resigned his position as Chief of Residence to take up a position far out in the colonies.

Here he saw a different side of Federation medicine. Plagued by shortages of medicine replicated in abundance on earth, Aldus had to learn to use local plants as replacements for the medicines they could not replicate.

This experience scarred him. From his background as a successful doctor, he lost his first patient and the experience tore at him. The drinking began to affect his relationships. While he was still a capable and effective doctor, his relations with his wife and even his mother began to sour, resulting a divorce from his wife and his mother cutting contact from him. Despite his best efforts, a previously unknown plague spread throughout the city, devastating the population. His brother Quinn never lost faith in him though, it must be said.

Aldus was able to synthesize a cure for the disease, but not before thirty percent of the colony had died. Aldus was devastated. The loss of so many souls caused him to turn to drink while he continued his work as a doctor. As a second plague threatened to finish off the city, a Federation Medical ship arrived bringing life saving treatments to the colonists.

His wife though came through seeing how he had changed and they were reunited. Soon after little Alison was born but sadly Caroline succumbed to post natal depression, taking her own life before the baby was even six months old. Yet Aldus never let it send him down that old road, instead he found that by living for his wife’s memory and his daughter, he had new horizons for the future; but he carried the weight of her loss forever after.

Starfleet History:

Here Aldus saw hope and decided to enroll in Starfleet. His background and experience in Medicine earned him a place in Starfleet Academy where he was given an accelerated course. Upon graduation, Aldus was given a Starfleet Commission as ensign and assigned to the hospital ship USS Peterson as a head doctor for beta shift. Despite his belief in the mission of mercy from the Federation, he encountered plenty of red tape and orders that hampered his more organic style of medicine. Frustrated and angry, he continued to work as a doctor, throwing himself into his work while finding any way he could to circumvent what he thought was the limiting bureaucracy of Starfleet medical procedures.

Despite Aldus's frustration with Starfleet regulation and bureaucracy, his brilliance and dedication to be a doctor earned him as many commendations as they did reprimands. He continued to work, but still chafed under the orders given by the doctors above him who were often younger and less experienced than he was. To combat this, he began using his experience to council the doctors, often times giving them suggestions, goading them into making mistakes or lying to superior officers to secure materials to provide the best care possible.

His many run ins with Starfleet superiors regarding his methods would often find him before a tribunal that sought to decide whether Aldus was fit to remain a doctor in Starfleet. Despite the insubordination and occasional threats of physical harm, Aldus's track record as a doctor was sterling. Starfleet Medical decided that it was in the best interest of all to transfer him into another ship, hoping a different surrounding would provide the doctor with a better work environment as well as to calm down his often volatile nature.

This resulted in a short but fruitful tenure aboard the USS Nexus as the Alpha Shift head doctor and the USS Allenby as Assistant Chief Medical officer. However it was on the Allenby, a Daedalus class hospital ship that Aldus was able to shine. The Allenby was tasked with aiding a colony that found itself unable to use its replicators due to the peculiar environment it was in. While the planet was Class M and capable of supporting human life. Strange ore formations in the ground interfered with the replicator's internal workings resulting in it being unusable. The colonists began turning to the land, hoping to find natural methods to synthesize cures and poultices to take care of their medical needs.

Aldus worked closely with the colonists, his experience and specialization in organic medicines giving him an advantage over his peers. The work was long and arduous with Aldus often leading expeditions into the wilderness to find appropriate herbs to be used in the creation of the medicines. He showed leadership and organizational skills comparable to that of a chief medical officer and his standard of care never waned despite the lack of technology most Starfleet officers rely on.

In 2381, after seven years on the Allenby, Aldus was offered the Chief Medical Officer position on the newly launched USS Hawk, an opportunity that he decided would best suit him and his particular set of skills. There he quickly became the go to man for all those issues younger crew accumulated being far away from home for long periods. He also became close friends with the ship’s CO Scot Harvath, the younger and older men sharing much in common with their collective careers. It was on Scot’s insistence that Aldus apply for and was granted the commission of CMO for the USS Valhalla

During the investigations in regard to Fleet loyalty caused by the menace of the Consortium, Paddy was one of the first to offer himself up for a full interrogation, lasting some eight hours or so at the hands of a rather humourless Vulcan named Ruidan. The score card read Paddy 1, Ruidan 0 at the end of the day.

Medical History:

Until he gave up smoking, Paddy did have a mild case of emphysema. Other than a little arthritis he is generally quite fit, except for his waistline.

Awards:.

- Starfleet Medal of Honor

- Extended Tour Award

- Medical Award of Honor

- Federation Citation of Honor/ Medical

-
Proficient Service Medallion

« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 12:43:34 AM by SymonDrayson »

Offline Mim

• Administrator
  • Crewman Second Class
  • Lost in SpAce
    • My Facebook
Re: Doctor Aldus Paedric O'Flynn MD.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »
Awwww I love him already :) I wonder what Alison looks like :D

"To boldly go where no man should, its women's business"

:sam10

Offline DanielRyder

• Crewman Second Class
  • What must I sacrifice?
    • Inkitt.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
A pretty blonde or brunette that Jackson Weaver can tail and run after obviously and maybe ask her out for a few drinks  >(  :sam10
I already lost one captain. I won't lose another. ~ Lieutenant Ash Tyler, Star Trek Discovery

Offline Mim

• Administrator
  • Crewman Second Class
  • Lost in SpAce
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 02:05:40 AM »
I might NPC her, use Katee Sackhoff for a face claim :D I think she'd be the real serious type
"To boldly go where no man should, its women's business"

:sam10

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:36:06 PM »
Interesting

Contra Ignorantiam
“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:10:46 PM »
If and I say 'if' Alison is available for NPCing, she will have dark hair, a dark complexion with brown eyes. She is after all of Celtic blood. Nor do I imagine her to be one of your typical 'pretty' face claims.

Enterprise © Bloc