Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Login with username and password

Author Topic: U.S.S. Valhalla (NCC-18000) Medical Suite "Sick Bay"  (Read 964 times)

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
U.S.S. Valhalla (NCC-18000) Medical Suite "Sick Bay"
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »

Summary

These are the U.S.S. Valhalla's main medical facilities.

Additional Information

Description:   

The Valhalla's Medical suite or sickbay is centrally located on Deck 5. It houses the main sickbay area for the general treatment of the crew, offices for the CMO and Chief Counselor, a small medical lab, and a surgical/recovery area called Med/Surg. In addition to this, there is a small physical therapy area and desk space for nursing and medical staff.

Main Sickbay

As one enters sickbay through the main entrance, they can check in at the nursing desk immediately to their left. A small partition separates this desk from a second desk area which is reserved for on-duty doctors other than the CMO. This gives them an area to do paperwork as well as hold consultations.

Next to the doctor's space is a small physical therapy area for the treatment of chronic musculoskeletal problems, such as back pain therapy or post-surgery recovery exercises. Through a door in this area, one can access a small therapy pool.

Separated from this general area by a short wall is the biobed main treatment area. It includes seven biobeds for treatments. In extreme situations, these beds can also serve as surgical beds, although this is not ideal.

Lab

Immediately to the right of the entrance is a small lab. Having this lab allows for quick turn around for lab tests, which is critical in emergency situations.

Med/Surg

Med/Surg is a very large space. It has two surgical biobeds for surgical operations. Patients can be brought in from Main Sickbay via a connecting door, this saves time during emergency situations. Six biobeds line one wall for patient recovery. These can be assigned to surgical patients or non-surgical patients who need to be treated overnight. Dividers emerge from the wall at the touch of a button to give these patients privacy.

Sickbay benefits from a fully-qualified Emergency Medical Hologram (EMH), which is capable of moving freely throughout the ship thanks to Mobile Emitter technology.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:05:09 PM by SymonDrayson »

Contra Ignorantiam
“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
Re: U.S.S. Valhalla (NCC-18000) Medical Suite "Sick Bay"
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:44:14 PM »

One step inside his new digs made those bristly eyebrows raise considerably. It was both larger than that of the Hawk, more spacious than that of the Station and of course so new you could still smell that rather pleasant odor left behind by the builders and engineers who had not too long ago finished putting the last touches to the place. "Damn me." The old man was impressed, he knew right from first site he could perform virtual miracles in here, though he hoped nothing more than sprains, bruises and the odd case of hemorrhoids.

So far none of his new staff had shown themselves, which to Paddy was all good. He could take his own sweet time getting familiar, something he needed to do alone. 

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 04:39:57 PM »

Being more than satisfied with what he saw, Paddy decided it was time to see who was on his team, although so early in the ship's life he didn't even expect to have any staff at all. Not unusual in the fleet with new ships as often it was left up to the CMO to recruit his own staff from the fleet's medical listings once he had established who and exactly what he required. He was more than surprised to find he had in fact been assigned a medical cadet; which to him was rather refreshing, as he or she would gain far more experience and points to their CV out here with him, than stuck in some cold lecture room working on dummies rather than the real thing in their first year. He promptly pipped his communicator. "Cadet Bremer, would you please come to Sick bay and introduce yourself thank you."

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:44:06 PM »

<<Ten Minutes Later>>

Cadet Rebecca Bremer entered the room and looked around, somewhat frantically. When she finally saw Aldus she hurried over to him and stood at attention. After a couple moments, she nervously said, "Cadet Rebecca Bremer reporting as ordered." She then looked at Aldus, with a pained expression, "I apologize, sir. I was not aware that you were waiting for me. I contacted the bridge earlier and the ensign I spoke with told me that the medical staff would be on standby until we left. I knew I should have been here." She stood uncomfortably for a few seconds, and then nervously added,"I would have gotten here quicker but I am quartered on deck nine in normal crew quarters and I have to admit, I got lost. It won't happen again, sir." She then stood silently, shaking nervously as she waited.

Contra Ignorantiam
“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:15:20 AM »

With a warm smile Paddy stood to greet the youngster, far be it for him to be called a snob with that plaque hanging on his cabin wall as most MD's are known to be. For him, all medics are equals, hence the reason he never saw eye to eye with medical command. "Sit lass, please. I'm far to old to stand on formalities and old enough to be your grandfather." He even pulled out a chair for her. "This my dear is completely off duty, since we've nothing to do until we dock with the next ship or whatever it is the Captain is doing. So, how about you tell me a little about yourself?"

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »

Rebecca smiled somewhat nervously, as her mind raced. She was taken aback somewhat. As a freshman cadet, the Academy had been so strict, and formal. She had expected that she would find duty aboard the ship just as formal, if not more so. The reality was proving much different. So far, during her short stay, she was finding it more relaxed than she had expected. She had expected to be addressed by every officer she met in the same way that academy senior cadets and instructors had spoken to her. On the contrary, she had been treated nicely by everyone. The other officers she had met treated her as more than a mere subordinate. Turning her attention back to the Doctor she said, "Thank you, sir. I have to admit my experiences aboard ship are not quite what I had expected. Everyone has been so, friendly. I didn't think that they would treat me horribly, I just thought that I would be the lowly Cadet, given menial chores to do." She paused and took a deep breath, trying to calm down before she fainted. She really didn't know why she got so completely nervous when confronted by senior staff officers. If this was how she was with the Chief Medical Officer, then she just knew she would faint when she met the Captain or one of the other command officers. 'Faint or worse.' she thought to herself.

"I don't know what to say about myself. I am not that interesting." she smiled again. "My father is Lieutenant Commander Mike Bremmer, Assistant Chief Medical Officer on the USS Leicester which is assigned to patrol the border between Cardassia and the Breen. My mother is a teacher on earth. I have always been interested in medicine and in Starfleet, thanks to my father. When assignments came up for my sophomore field studies I wanted to be assigned to a ship on the frontier, so to speak. I volunteered for assignment to the Gamma Quadrant and was actually surprised when I was given an assignment to the U.S.S. Independence. I reported for duty there a week before the 'Event'. I have to admit, being on board a ship during battle, when mutineers were trying to take over the ship, was not what I had expected. I hesitated, and got sick when the first casualties came in." she paused and looked at the floor, a pained look on her face. Looking back up she said, "I am rather surprised that I was assigned to this ship, I have heard rumors that our mission is very important, I would expect only experienced people, who don't hesitate, would have been assigned instead of me." after another pause she looked at Aldus with a determined look on her face, "I will do better if that type of situation arises again."

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 12:16:36 AM »

The instant the girl began to speak Aldus knew instinctively she had been posted to the right ship and indeed the right mentor (in him) to further her career. Those few experiences that had been thrust her way would do nothing but to build her character and of course add a few tales to tell her grandchildren one day. God knows he had a store of them to tell. While she related her life, along with some background, he busied himself at the replicator console to make some tea, this century's version of a good spicy chai made with cinnamon, black masala tea and condensed milk. Sweet with a zing. "Here you go lass, this will do you the world of good. Mind though, if you're watching you weight." He patted his stomach. "Don't get too used to it."

Sitting opposite her to maintain a respectable male/female distance, as well as not coming off like a dirty old man, he continued with the conversation. "You know the moment I saw your name on my roster something clicked, its quite possible I might have been one of your father's lecturers back in his academy days, it rings a bell." He then proceeded to tell her something of himself, briefly of course, right up to the present time. Even throwing in a little about Roxanne and how they found her. " - a sad tale that one. Her entire civilization gone in just a decade, over five hundred thousand people we are led to believe."

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »

Rebecca accepted the drink and took a small sip. After nodding her head and smiling slightly she said, "Not that is tasty. I could get to like that way too much." She took a few more sips before looking around sickbay and then back to Aldus. "If you are able to remember and 'interesting' stories about my father's Academy days, I would love to hear them. It would be nice to be able to remind him of his youthful exploits." She took another long drink and then sat silently, thinking about something. "Can you tell me what my duties will be here? I know that during field studies I will be assigned as your intern basically, but beyond that, my Academy instructor said it would be up to you?"

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »

"Alas I'm addicted to the stuff." He wasn't sad about that at all, at least it got him off the booze for a while, there was always that. It was though, time to move on from the mundane. "Give me a day or two lass to peruse my old diaries and I'll see what lays hidden beneath those wrinkled pages, yes pages. I am quite enamored with many old ways as you will see in time; which brings me to your duties." For just one brief second he paused.

"Its rather fortunate you were sent here, as I said my ways are often anchored in the past. From me you will be learning techniques of medicine that haven't been overly used for nearly one hundred and fifty years. I am speaking of practical applications. For you will find that there are many situations that arise on the fly so to speak when our medical tools of this age either fail, or are simply not at hand. To that, I will be teaching you the old school. Suturing, the art of wielding a scalpel and many other procedures." On any given day, Paddy could talk the leg off a chair, today was no different. "Outside of that, assisting me as you mentioning, record keeping as well as a few other rather unpleasant chores." Ah the life of a student, he didn't miss them for a moment.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 10:52:04 PM »

"I look forward to the challenge sir. That is part of the reason I put in for a deep space assignment as opposed to regular duty aboard a ship, I want to gain experience that is 'outside the box' so to speak. Most of the other cadets in my class opted for assignments in the Alpha Quadrant which I don't understand at all. I think there is more to learn when dealing with the unknown." she stopped and blushed slightly. She needed to remember to contain herself and not ramble. "I hear we will be getting underway in the morning. Is there any chance I might be able to sit in on staff meetings at some point? Just curious."

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »

The keenness was there, the old man could see it in her eyes. One day not too far away Rebecca was going to make a fine surgeon in the best traditions. He had one more thing to do, a curious thing, but one he had done since the first day he spent back at the medical academy as a lead instructor. "You will indeed be doing just that, but first show me your hands. Hold them out flat, then turn them over." She may wonder why, but he had his reasons.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 03:44:10 AM »

She looked back at him with a somewhat confused expression on her face. Slowly she held out her hands, holding them so that he could study the backs of her hands and then turning them palms up. She wasn't sure what this was all about, so she stood there nervously waiting, and wondering. 'At least that manicure turned out good.' was the random thought that passed through her mind. 

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Ellen_Ripley

• Galaxy Moderator
  • Crewman Third Class
  • "I am the Mother!"
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:48:53 PM »

"Hmm, no shakes, perfectly formed long elegant fingers." Paddy was speaking not as someone judging a beauty contest but as a surgeon of many years behind him having the capacity to determine merely by this little examination if someone was cut out to be a surgeon or not. So far everything he had seen surpassed his expectations. "You'll do remarkably well lass, so for now I think we'll hop it up to the bridge so we can find out what our good Captain has in store for us. Its a far better view from there in any case." He let her hands go at that point, thinking of giving her a slap on the shoulder, though of course that was something he reserved for the 'blokes'.

<<To Bridge>>

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »

"Thank you, sir. I will do my absolute best." she smiled at the doctor and then followed him to the bridge, not really knowing what to expect. She had never been on the bridge of a Starship before. As they walked she started to get that nervous, sick feeling in the pit of her stomach.

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 10:53:18 PM »

<<From Bridge>>

A minute after leaving the bridge, the turbo lift stopped and the doors slid open. Stepping into the corridor she made the short walk to the medical facilities. Once she reached sickbay she entered and walked directly to the doctor's private office and entered. Spotting the cabinet the doctor had mentioned almost immediately she stepped over to it. It made her feel somewhat uncomfortable to be poking around in the doctor's private space, be she tried to put it out of her mind. Once she found the items he had requested, she exited his office and then left sickbay. She walked back down the corridor, as quickly as possible, knowing that the doctor was waiting on the bridge. She entered the turbo lift and said, "Bridge."

<<To Bridge>>
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:59:20 PM by SymonDrayson »

Contra Ignorantiam

Enterprise © Bloc