Welcome, Guest. Please login or register

Login with username and password

Author Topic: U.S.S. Valhalla (NCC-18000) Medical Suite "Sick Bay"  (Read 665 times)

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
Re: U.S.S. Valhalla (NCC-18000) Medical Suite "Sick Bay"
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
"Damn me!" A moment of sheer anger coursed through his veins. For just when he thought the worst of their (medical) problems were beyond them, something else potentially even more threatening was upon them. "Clear all staff from anywhere within fifty meters of the area, seal it off at the outer sections and I'll be there shortly. HAZMAT suits will apply within that fifty meters."

"Bloody hell, why, Lord why?" He began pacing back and forth, thinking of every possible angle and the only one he could come up with was that this Consortium had somehow managed to get some kind of virus onto the ship, quite possibly via the prisoners. The next question was how? Then it dawned on him, he'd seen it before; a soft capsule of highly toxic poison held in the mouth is easily spread when the carrier bites down on it. At least that was the theory he'd have to approach the situation with in the first instance. He pipped his own Combadge. "Rebecca, get up here immediately, we have a situation."

The instant he finished, the old man went to the Sick Bay lockers to retrieve his own HAZMAT suit. Another minute or so after that he was securing the sealed helmet.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 07:02:21 PM by Aldus_O.Flynn »

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
<<Combadge Communication>>

"Yes sir. I will be there in a few minutes."

Contra Ignorantiam
“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 04:33:04 PM »
Paddy waited a few decent moments before replying again, anxious as he was to get moving on this. That the possibility of a virus outbreak loomed very real in his mind, terrified the old man as he had been through much the same more than once in his medical career. "No time for make-up lass, come as you are." Not that he thought for one moment she would be doing that, it was though the only reply he could give to move her along a little faster.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
=^Combadge Communication^=

"I am en-route now sir. I should be there momentarily."

Contra Ignorantiam
“What you are searching for is inside you. The harder you look  ‘out there’, the more obscured it becomes within. ”

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 08:53:44 PM »

Rebecca was out of breath as she hurried into the sickbay. She looked around quickly as she collected herself. When she spotted Aldus, she immediately made her way over to him.

"Sorry sir. I am still learning my way around. What is happening?"

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »
"Its not good lass. Two of our prisoners expired last night, then when found their bodies had already began to break down. We have other prisoners now complaining of severe body pains as we speak. To me it sounds like some kind of contagion, but we won't be sure until we can make some detailed analysis in situ." He sighed deeply as he pushed away from his work station. "We'll both need to wear the HAZMAT suits and I've already sent instructions ahead for security staff to do the same." His next steps to him over to the large lockers lining the walls, within were the distinctive orange protection suits. Paddy withdrew a larger one for himself.

As he began to slip it over his clothing, he kept up the conversation. "Do you know Rebecca, if it is a virus, it will be the ninth for me since joining the fleet and by that I mean nine virus outbreaks on board ships. That doesn't count those I've attended on Terra Firma." Quite a few of those as well, he was damn well lucky he wasn't dead himself.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »

Rebecca looked startled as she followed the Doctor over to the lockers and grabbed a suit for herself. She hated the things. She had a mild case of claustrophobia, which had made training in them as well as the Zero G suits in the academy somewhat challenging. As she donned the suit she watched the doctor closely and mimicked his every move.

"How do you think a virus would have gotten aboard? We transported the survivors from the freighter aboard, but doesn't the transporter usually filter out any harmful viruses?"

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 07:12:53 PM by SymonDrayson »

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »
"Not the best in fashion is it lass?" The old man quipped on Rebecca's fitting of the garment. They did their best for sizes of course and if it was too far out she could easily replicate a new one that might be more to her body shape, but then again Federation officers generally had all that 'pride' knocked out of them in the Academy.

He had to think about her question though, not for a long spell but enough thought went into his answer to try and make it sound as logical as possible. "There are several ways that a virus can be brought aboard without detection Rebecca, I'll deal with the most common approach and its one we don't yet have a defence against. You know how back in the 20th century we invented slow release drugs? Same thing really. If a saboteur wanted to get at us from this kind of angle, all they need to do is create a virus with a nano time attached, given to be released into the carriers system at a given time. I believe that is what we may be dealing with." He finished zipping up his suit, then fitted the cumbersome helmet. "Can you hear me?" He spoke through the onboard coms, hopefully it was working.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »

Rebecca looked over her protective suit, insuring that everything was zipped up and closed appropriately. She then grabbed a medical tricorder and medkit and looked at the doctor, "I think I am ready sir. Will we be using a site to site transport?"

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:44 PM »
"Speed is of the essence dear, we'll go site to site as I believe this is or should be deemed as an emergency." Turning quickly or at least as quickly as his suit would allow, not that it was all that bulky, it simply slowed the old frame down some, he walked to the door activating the opening control. "Lead on lass, you'll be quicker than I."

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 11:26:39 PM »

Rebecca nodded to the doctor and then reached down and activated the combadge affixed to her wrist, "Cadet Bremer to transporter room, requesting emergency transport of two to the brig." after several moments a voice came back.

=/\= Commbadge Communication =/\=

"Stand by for transport to the security section." then after a few more moments, "Energizing."

Almost instantly Aldus and Rebecca de-materialized.

>>> To Security / Brig <<<
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:54:56 PM by SymonDrayson »

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 06:35:20 PM »
>>From Decontamination>>

By the time they had arrived their samples were already there sitting upon the benches as it was far easier and quicker to simply irradiate small objects than it was to completely sterilize a human being. That being said great strides had been made in that area as well over the last hundred and fifty years or so, no longer having the need to go through the veritable 'showers' after disposing of your infected clothing. It was a dry procedure, done on the molecular level and the subjects never even noticed a thing as they passed through the machines. Paddy though was still old school, he ordered their HAZAMT suits to be destroyed, HQ can bill him if they wished to.

"We'll set up the scanners as well as the biochemistry analyzers, there's a slim chance we'll pick something up, or at least I'm hopeful to. Gather up as many petri dishes as you can Rebecca, which is rather strange to say that isn't it? After all these centuries, that is one field that hasn't changed all that much." He began by cataloguing each sample, entering into his data pad things such as date, the victim, race etc etc.

Offline SymonDrayson

• Administrator
  • Petty Officer
  • Contra Ignorantiam
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »

After going through the decontamination procedure Rebecca followed closely behind Aldus. She immediately got to work cataloging her samples and set the computer to analyzing each one for unidentified anomalies, chemical compounds or viral traces. She also set it to cross reference her readings and search for anything similar in the medical database. After a moment she went back and expanded the search to include the science database as well. That done she began to help Aldus set up the scanners and collect the dishes. "Have you ever encountered anything like this sir?" she asked, half hoping the answer would be yes and that he had an idea about what to do but fearing that the answer would be no.

@Aldus_O.Flynn @MelsMum

Contra Ignorantiam

Offline Aldus_O.Flynn

• Crewman
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:01 PM »
It was one thing to see what had happened, it was an altogether different thing to be doing the analysis on the thing. So far it had left Paddy scratching his head for long moments when he first saw the samples in the petri dishes, like pools of bacteria multiplying enmasse before his very eyes, despite his every effort to use whatever weapons he had short of irradiating them. He looked over at the young woman, deep concern in his eyes.

"Yes once. I was attached to the USS Indianapolis for a short stint some years ago. We had an outbreak of some unknown virus that swept through the marines detachment like a wild fire. Within twenty four hours we lost eight men and women, it was as bad as this as far as the end result went." It was almost thirty years ago if he recalled correctly. "In the end we did isolate it only because we got lucky. One of our away teams were doing routine exercises on an isolated planet during high summer. What we didn't know at the time was the presence of a parasitical fungus that during its spawning cycle seeks out flesh to grow new life. The spawn takes over the host, within a week there is nothing left but something resembling dead wood with the now harmless fungus growing all over it." That memory still haunted him to this very day.

Enterprise © Bloc